What do you think is meh?

meh blog wants to hear what you think is meh. send your blog suggestions to mehtips@gmail.com!

Monday, April 11, 2011

Stupid subway



So I'm on the train the other day coming home from work, tired as shit from writing earth shattering blogs all day.  As usual I'm just hating my life since I'm riding the subway, and the subway is bar-none the absolute worst thing about living in NYC.  It's crowded, it smells weird, it's slow, it's inconsistent.  You just never know what to expect when you're down there.  Could fall asleep and have a rat crawling up on your face.  Could have some crazy bitch throw spaghetti marinara in your grill.  Could get smacked in the face by some "performer" doing crazy backflips on a moving train.  But no matter what, you know you are absolutely going to smell urine at least once, get knocked into by all sorts of people you want nothing to do with, and get annoyed at the incompetence of everyone that works for the MTA.

Like the other day, when I'm on the train and one of my biggest pet peeves happens.... My train stops at 34th st. and waits there for five minutes for the express train to pull up on the other side of the platform.  They say they are waiting to "maintain even spacing between trains."  I've never studied advanced train engineering or anything like that, but I'm pretty sure waiting for another train to pull up in the station has the exact opposite effect.  Now, since the two tracks merge into one after 34th, everyone on the train knows that one of these trains is leaving the station first, and the other one is going to have to wait for at least another five minutes.  Any reasonable person would expect the conductor to make an announcement.  Nope, not this time.  At least 50% of the time that I find myself in this situation, they make no announcement.  Of course, this lack of information leads to mass confusion.  As an educated NYC commuter, I have learned that there is no right answer in this situation.  So, I just sit back and watch the other beleaguered subway riders try to figure out which train will leave first.  I watch them look around, all confused, just yearning to be on their way, not knowing what to do.  And then it happens.  The doors on the other train close.  It is leaving first.  All is lost.

1 comment:

  1. Dont forget pungent B.O. This morning was B.O.- 2, Dan- 0.

    ReplyDelete