What do you think is meh?

meh blog wants to hear what you think is meh. send your blog suggestions to mehtips@gmail.com!

Thursday, March 31, 2011

I Hate Bandwagon Fans

Ahh, Opening Day in baseball. A beautiful time of year where the weather is warming up, there's hope amongst all the ball clubs, and the random team that won last year's World Series still has an overload of bandwagon fans.

For the first time in my life, I'm living among that exact group of people - San Francisco Giants "fans." And all you need to do is watch the first 1:50 of the video above to understand what 95% of these "fans" are like. Everyone of them was just like that guy last year--suddenly knowing the names of the players, buying up all sorts of orange gear, and paying out their asses for tickets to the playoff games. Other than Dodgers games, these "fans" weren't showing up at the Stadium at all last year until the final 2 weeks of the season when they realized the playoffs were on the horizon.

Say what you want about my beloved Red Sox & their fan base, but they were selling out Fenway Park every game for a couple years before they won in '04, and generally speaking, the bandwagon fans of the Sox are only a small portion of the total fan base.

When my co-worker sat down at his cubicle today (a cube that includes a "get your orange on" Giants towel, a Tim Lincecum bobblehead, and an orange Giants foam finger), I looked over and said, "Opening night tonight huh?"

He responded, "Is it? I don't know. I just know I have tickets to next Friday's home opener."

Wait, what? You were the "biggest fan on the planet" last October, went to every single playoff game, and own roughly 7 grand in Giants gear, but you don't know and don't care if they start their World Championship defense tonight??? Especially against the "hated" Dodgers?? Mind-boggling to a real baseball fan like me.

It's not even April 1st yet, and I can tell this is going to annoy me all year. I live 1 mile from AT&T Park, and over the last 5 years, I've really enjoyed being able to walk down to a game without any planning and grab a ticket for under $20. I have a feeling those days are gone. Actually, who am I kidding? These are bandwagon fans. The moment Lincecum goes down with an injury or the Giants fall to 3rd in the NL West, these people will be dying to give their tickets away...so they can go back to being Foodies & criticizing everything that's not San Francisco in this world.

2 comments:

  1. ...that being said, better to be a bandwagon Giants fan than a die-hard Mets fan, mainly because of the stupid "Mets song" they all pretend to know. Meh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fucking bandwagon fans, is there anything more disrespectful and douchey than this? you know, a lot of people devote a lot of time and energy to their teams. they suffer through years of losing, through injuries, through bonehead trades and signings. and then finally when the team wins, a bunch of losers come out of the wood works and start acting like they give a shit about the team, trying to share in the glory. posers, makes me sick.

    ReplyDelete